sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer announces three freshman additions to 2023 class

spiumsbrief062023

Indiana men's soccer announced three new players to the program's incoming 2023 recruiting class Tuesday, per an IU athletics release. All three soon-to-be freshmen formerly trained at Major League Soccer academies — defender Joel Demian at Vancouver Whitecaps FC, as well as goalkeeper Alex Kara and defender Luke Reidell at Sporting Kansas City.  

"We are very excited to have Joel, Alex and Luke join our 2023 class," Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley said in Tuesday's release. "All three possess important positional needs to ensure we have the quality and depth to compete for titles. We feel great about this class, and we are confident they will represent IU men's soccer with distinction." 

Following the announcement of 10 newcomers in February, the three new acquisitions raised Indiana's class to 13 players: 12 freshmen and one transfer. On May 30, Top Drawer Soccer ranked Indiana's recruiting class No. 13 in the country — third in the Big Ten behind Maryland and Northwestern. TDS did not yet list Demian and Reidell as one of Indiana's commitments.  

Demian, the 5-foot-10-inch defender from Canada, has been in the Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy since 2019. Last season, Demian was named the under-17 player of the year, per release. This past winter, Demian joined Vancouver's second team, Whitecaps FC 2, in the MLS Next Pro League. In 2022, Demian trained with the Canadian Men's National Team.  

Kara, the 6-foot-4-inch defender from Louisville, previously played for Javanon FC, part of the MLS Next youth soccer league organized by Major League Soccer. There, Kara won two Kentucky state titles in 2018 and 2021. Kara has also won two state titles playing for the Louisville Collegiate School and, since 2021, has trained with the Sporting KC Academy.  

Reidell, the 5-foot-7-inch defender from Rochester, New York, assisted in the Sporting KC Academy reaching the playoffs every season of his career there, per release. Reidell has also participated in United States Youth National Team Identification Camps alongside high-rated prospects. Reidell announced his commitment to Indiana on social media on June 12. 

Indiana’s home-opener will be at 8 p.m. EST on August 29 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Season tickets for admission to 10 home matches are on sale now and can be purchased here.