arts community events

Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington to partner with Buskirk-Chumley for Stagecraft Program

entbuskirkboysgirlsclubs-illo

Bloomington’s Buskirk-Chumley Theater will partner with the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington to produce the Stagecraft Program this summer. The week-long program will begin July 10 and aims to introduce young children to the process of stage production. 

Members of the Boys and Girls Club aged 10 and above will have the chance to dive deep into multiple facets of stage production, including sound design, theatrical lighting, camera operation and projection techniques. The club said the program is meant to “illuminate diverse career possibilities in the entertainment industry, especially for children from traditionally underserved communities, both in the limelight and behind the scenes.” 

The program will be hosted in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater and will immerse participants in the techniques and equipment behind live performance using the theater itself as a hands-on learning tool. The Buskirk-Chumley technical staff will provide instruction on the workings and operation of theater technology.  

Clayton Hicks, assistant technical director at the theater and Boys and Girls Club alumnus, will serve as the primary instructor for the course. Hicks said he owes a lot to the club, which is where he was first introduced to music production, and that he is excited to inspire the next generation of stage technicians.  

Inquiries should be directed to the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington.