bloomington

MCCSC experiences four months learning loss for math, reading since 2019

carecoveryscore052323.jpeg

Students in the Monroe County Community School Corporation have experienced approximately four months of math and reading related learning loss since 2019, according to the recent Education Recovery Scorecard released this month. Researchers say this learning loss is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.  

According to the Education Recovery Scorecard’s interactive map, MCCSC reported a 0.52 decrease in average math scores from 2019 to 2022, a little more than four months of achievement loss. Additionally, the district reported a 0.44 decrease in average reading scores during the same time period, slightly less than four months of learning loss. 

[Related: MCCSC experiences rise in enrollment since pandemic but hasn't fully recovered]

Test scores for MCCSC, where there are slightly more than 10,000 students enrolled, reflect significantly less learning loss compared to the state averages. Statewide, the Education Recovery Scorecard reports a decrease of 0.61 in average math scores and a 0.45 decrease in average reading scores from 2019 to 2022. According to the Indiana Department of Education’s analysis of 2022 ILEARN scores, only 30.2% of Indiana students grades 3-8 were proficient in both math and English-language arts.  

Researchers working with the Education Recovery Scorecard found that nationwide the average public-school student in third grade through eighth grade lost approximately half a year of learning in math and a quarter of a year in reading.   

The report also highlighted learning loss disparities between neighboring districts. Compared to nearby districts, MCCSC reported some learning loss. However, neighboring school district Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation reported a 0.93 decrease in average math scores and a 0.86 decrease in average reading scores from 2019 to 2022 — changes the Education Recovery Scorecard classifies as “dramatic learning losses” compared to nearby districts. 

[Related: Legislative roundup: 8 major moves by the Indiana Statehouse in 2023 session]

The Education Recovery Scorecard and corresponding research is a collaboration between the Center for Education Policy Research at Harvard University and the Educational Opportunity Project at Stanford University. Researchers used data from the National Assessment of Educational Progress and publicly reported district test scores and proficiency rates to develop the scorecard.  

Earlier this month, Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb approved Indiana’s two-year budget which offers $21 billion for K-12 education