bloomington

Kilroy’s Sports added to wrongful death lawsuit of IU student

canatestratton050423-jpg

Kilroy’s Sports, a popular Bloomington bar, has been added as a defendant in the wrongful death lawsuit of an IU student, Nathaniel Stratton. Stratton died after being struck by a car while riding an e-scooter in September 2022 in Bloomington.  

The driver of that vehicle, Madelyn Howard, has been charged with four felonies including reckless homicide, leaving the scene of an accident and causing death when operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, after police say she struck Stratton with her vehicle on Sept. 18, 2022. Howard is also a defendant in the wrongful death suit but is free on bail until trial. 

“The Stratton family’s goal is to prevent anyone else from suffering the unnecessary and devastating loss of a loved one,” Bloomington lawyer Fred Schultz said in the Thursday release. “Drunk driving is a known danger that must be taken seriously by all of us in Bloomington, including the business community.” 

Lawyers representing Stratton’s estate argue that Kilroy’s Sports continued to serve alcohol to Howard after she was visibly intoxicated, which is a violation of Indiana law, according to the release.  

Howard’s blood alcohol content was 0.226, more than double the legal limit to operate a vehicle of 0.08, according to the release.

Howard was an employee at Kilroy’s Sports at the time of the incident, but was not on shift that night, according to the release.