sports baseball

Josh Pyne earns Big Ten weekly award as Indiana baseball readies for regular season finale

spiubasepreview051623.jpg

Indiana baseball is riding high after posting a 4-0 record last week. The action was headlined by the program’s first sweep of Purdue since 2016, with the Hoosiers’ 51 runs marking a new record in the rivalry.

Offensively, Indiana was led by newly crowned Big Ten Player of the Week Josh Pyne. Last week, the sophomore third baseman posted a .588 batting average, including 14 runs batted in and at least one extra-base hit in each game.

Pyne finished the week with two home runs, an on-base plus slugging percentage of 1.235 and a career-high five runs batted in during the series finale. The sophomore was also perfect at the hot corner, converting all ten of his fielding opportunities at third base.

This marks the second time Pyne has earned a Big Ten weekly award in his career after earning Freshman of the Week honors in 2022.

Pyne and the Hoosiers head into the final week of the regular season with a 38-14 record. The week begins with a non-conference game versus the University of Evansville at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, which is Indiana’s final home game. The midweek contest will be followed by a weekend trip to East Lansing, Michigan. The Hoosiers play at Michigan State to close out the regular season.

Indiana is currently tied with Maryland for first place in the Big Ten with a 15-6 conference record. Michigan State’s overall record is 29-19, but their 9-11 Big Ten record sees them in ninth place. Purdue is currently in eighth place, meaning this series marks Michigan State’s last hope of leap-frogging Purdue and making the eight-team conference tournament in later May.

The Michigan State series runs from Thursday through Saturday. The first two games of the series, slated for Thursday and Friday, both begin at 8 p.m. and Saturday’s series finale starts at 3 p.m. All four of Indiana’s games this week will be televised on Big Ten Network.