Indiana men’s basketball leads Big Ten in attendance, first time since 2013-2014

spiumbbbrief052223.jpg

Indiana men's basketball led the Big Ten in attendance this past season for the first time since the 2013-2014 season, per release Monday. The Hoosiers landed at No. 8 in the nation with 273,721 fans attending Indiana's 17 home games at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in 2022-2023.  

“Our program is grateful to the many fans who make up Hoosier Nation,” Indiana second-year head coach Mike Woodson said. “I’ve never wavered from my belief that we have the best fans in the country. I’ve been a part of this program since 1976 and we are blessed to have one of the most loyal and supportive fan bases in college basketball year in and year out.” 

Indiana averaged 16,101 fans in those 17 home games. Twelve of those contests, along with two exhibitions, were listed as sold-out crowds of over 17,000 fans. In Woodson’s first year, the 2021-2022 season, Indiana posted the ninth-highest attendance in the nation.  

In back-to-back years, Indiana has been in the country's top-10 programs drawing the most fans –– the first time that’s happened in consecutive years since 2016 and 2017. Since Assembly Hall opened in 1971-1972, Indiana has been within the country's top-10 attendance 39 times. The Hoosiers have led the Big Ten 23 times, including this past year.