bloomington

City council approves joint Human Rights Commission with the county

cacitycouncil050323-jpg

In the wake of an election that ousted three incumbent councilmembers --- Ron Smith, Stephen Volan and Sue Sgambelluri --- the Bloomington City Council met Wednesday to create a joint Human Rights Commission and wrapped up in a little over an hour. The council postponed an ordinance regarding the Traffic Calming and Greenways Program for the second time.  

City council approves a joint Human Rights Commission with the county 

The first two items on the agenda involve a joint agreement between Bloomington and Monroe County to form a joint Human Rights Commission. The agreement would have the city oversee human rights education and awareness and enforce city and county human rights ordinances. It would also require the county to pay half of the city’s cost for the human rights director salary, as well as a human rights support staff member salary. The commission would have seven members, with three appointed by the Bloomington mayor, two by the city council and two by the Monroe County Commissioners.  

The resolution and ordinance, which were both related to the creation of the commission, were approved unanimously.  

The council was set to discuss an ordinance proposed by Councilmember Dave Rollo that would have required city council approval as a required step in the Traffic Calming and Greenways Program process. However, the council voted to postpone the issue to the May 10 meeting.