bloomington

Tips and tricks to stay safe during Little 500

castaysafe042023

The popular party week leading up to Little 500 is finally here. Here are some ways to stay safe while having fun. 

IUPD and IU Public Safety Public Information Officer Hannah Skibba said the department has been preparing for Little 500 for months and will have a higher visibility of officers both at the races and around campus the whole weekend.  

“We have officers coming from all our campuses across the state because it is an all-hands-on-deck event for us,” Skibba said. 

Skibba said IU Public Safety recommends students stay safe by staying in well-lit areas when walking at night, carrying a portable charger and having a safe plan to get home. 

The women’s race is on Friday April 21 at 4 p.m. and the men’s race is on Saturday April 22 at 2 p.m. according to IU Student Foundation

Stay safe from weather 

As the temperature starts to rise, remember that wearing sunscreen will be important, especially if you plan to be outside for a couple hours each day.   

Looking at the weather forecast before going out for the day can be a life saver. Wearing a sweatshirt or sweatpants if it is supposed to be sunny outside may be uncomfortable, so dress according to the weather. 

Know your limits 

Drinking water in between drinks can help you stay hydrated and avoid getting too drunk while in the heat. 

Eating enough food can impact how someone’s Little 500 goes. Make sure to take care of your body while having fun.  

Have friends around 

Use the buddy system when going out for Little 500. Make sure that you and your friends are never alone.  

Sharing your location can be extremely helpful during events like these. So many people go out, and it is easy to lose your friends in a crowd or when you are walking somewhere.  

Know your resources 

IU Ride offers free rides within the city limits of Bloomington. Their hours are 8 p.m. to 1:45 a.m. daily, so do not choose to walk home in the dark when you do not have to. They also offer the Lyft service from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. nightly with $6.50 off rides for IUB students.  

IU Police Department: 812-855-4111 

Bloomington Police Department: 812-339-4477