arts music

Latin American Music Center to feature Amelia López López lecture and more in April

entlatin041223.jpg

This April brings an exciting few performances and events from the Jacobs School of Music Latin American Music Center. Ranging from ensemble concerts to lectures, each event aims to celebrate Latin American culture.   

Mariachi Perla del Medio Oeste  

The Mariachi Perla del Medio Oeste ensemble, a volunteer music group committed to cultivating and promoting Mexican and Latin American music and culture, will perform at two events between April 13 and 15. Its members include IU undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff and Bloomington community members. 

The ensemble will perform at 4:30 p.m. on April 13 at the Bridgwaters Lounge in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center for the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies end-of-year reception.  

Additionally, the ensemble will perform on April 15 at IU’s Global and International Studies Building for Paso a Paso’s LatinXpo. An exact performance time will be announced later.  

Related: [IU Auditorium to host Pitbull, George Takei and more in April]

Paso a Paso — which translates to “step by step” — is a dance organization at IU that aims to educate the community on Latin American culture through dance. The group’s LatinXpo is an annual event in which the dancers will collaborate with other groups on campus to celebrate Latin American culture through art, music and dance.   

Latin Jazz Ensemble Concert 

The Latin Jazz Ensemble Concert will take place at 8 p.m. on April 17 at IU’s Musical Arts Center. The group is a 24-piece big band ensemble led by director Wayne Wallace, a professor of practice of jazz studies and jazz trombone at the Jacobs School of Music.  

The concert is free to attend and will be livestreamed on IUMusicLive!  

ATM & LAMC Lecture Series: Amelia López López 

In collaboration with the Archives of Traditional Music, the LAMC will host a lecture featuring IU Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology Ph.D.  candidate Amelia López López at noon on April 19 in the Hoagy Carmichael room at Morrison Hall. López is a violinist whose academic research focuses on Latin American and Caribbean Studies.   

Her lecture, “Acts Toward re-existence: Listening for Delia Zapata Olivella’s voice in the archives,” will explore the work of Afro-Colombian scholar Delia Zapata Olivella. Olivella is known by many in her home country as the mother of Colombian Folklore. She has exhibited a decades-long commitment to staging traditionally rural Black and Indigenous dances in urban spaces.