bloomington

Biden approves Indiana disaster declaration after recent storms

camajordisaster041723.jpg

President Joe Biden approved a disaster declaration for Indiana on April 15 that makes federal funding available to people affected by the severe storms and tornadoes from March 31 to April 1, according to the presidential action

People in Allen, Benton, Clinton, Grant, Howard, Johnson, Lake, Monroe, Morgan, Owen, Sullivan and White counties can receive grants for temporary housing, home repairs and low-interest loans to cover uninsured property losses, according to the action. More counties in Indiana and additional forms of assistance may be designated after damage assessments in other areas are completed. 

At least three people in Sullivan County and two people in Owen County died after the severe storms and tornadoes, according to the National Weather Service. There were 23 tornadoes in Indiana during the March 31 and April 1 storms. The annual statewide average is 22 tornadoes per year, according to the National Weather Service. 

To apply for assistance, people can visit DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-3362. Additionally, applications for aid can be submitted through the Federal Emergency Management Agency app

FEMA’s Brian Schiller was appointed to coordinate federal recovery operations.