arts jacobs school of music

IU music professor Brent Wallarab to premiere new work April 29

entbrent041923.jpg

IU Professor of Jazz Studies Brent Wallarab will be presenting a newly arranged work entitled “The Gennett Suite” at 7:30 p.m. on April 29 at the Musical Arts Center. The event will be emceed by David Brent Johnson of WFIU. 

A second performance will take place at 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on April 30 at the Jazz Kitchen in Indianapolis. 

“The Gennett Suite” will be presented in four movements and is a tribute to the many legendary jazz musicians like Louis Armstrong and King Oliver that recorded at Gennett Records located in Richmond, Indiana during the 1920s according to the press release. 

Related: [10th annual Limestone Comedy Festival to take place June 1-3]

The composition recognizes and acknowledges the crucial role these musicians had in the world of jazz, through popularizing it and changing the way the musical form was presented and arranged. 

The composition is inspired by classic pieces such as “Dippermouth Blues” and “Wolverine Blues.” Wallarab has reimagined the musical themes in pieces such as these and modernized them for the new era. 

Tickets for the performance at the Musical Arts Center are available through the Jacobs School of Music website, while tickets for the performance at the Jazz Kitchen are available through the InstantSeats website.

CORRECTION: “The Gennett Suite” was misspelled in a previous version of this article.