sports water polo

No. 16 Indiana water polo hosts No. 13 Michigan in final home game of season

spiuwppreview040623.jpg

No. 16 Indiana women’s water polo will host its final home game this Saturday against No. 13 Michigan. The Hoosiers have won nine out of their 10 home games this season with the sole loss coming to No. 1 Stanford on March 4.  

Indiana looks to stretch its two-game winning streak, coming off wins against Whittier College on March 25 and then-No. 15 Arizona State on April 1. 

Indiana’s freshman center Sophia Sollie led Indiana to its first win against Arizona State in over 18 years. She netted four goals on seven shot attempts contributing to an 11-7 win against the Sun Devils. The freshman was later named the MPSF Player of the Week after her performance during the game.  

In the 2022 season, Indiana played and lost to Michigan two times. Both games were on the road for the Hoosiers, and Michigan won both matches by only a combined three points. 

Michigan is 18-9 on the season with wins over then-No. 21 Brown, then-No. 14 Harvard and then-No. 9 University of California, Davis.  

Michigan is coming off a loss against then-No. 7 Princeton University on April 2. Princeton scored five goals in the first quarter, and Michigan was never able to catch up; the Tigers beat the Wolverines 11-9. The Princeton loss snapped Michigan’s 32 conference game winning streak.  

The Wolverines are led by junior attacker Kata Utassy, from Budapest, Hungary. She was named the CWPA Player of the Week for the third time this season April 6, after racking up six goals and nine assists in three games. In the same weekend, Utassy also scored her 100th point of the season after competing in 25 games.  

During senior night this weekend, the Hoosiers will honor its four seniors: senior utility Zoe Crouch, senior defender Lanna Debow, senior attacker Katherine Hawkins and senior center Robyn Greenslade.  

Indiana will tip off against Michigan at 1 p.m. April 8 at Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center. The match will be streamed on BTN+. 

Follow reporter Marnie Sara (.@marniesara5) for updates throughout the rest of the Indiana water polo season.