sports softball

Indiana softball shut out Western Kentucky for 22nd straight win

spiusbsidebar040523.jpg

Exactly one month ago Wednesday, Indiana softball dropped its first game at home, a 12-1 blowout defeat against Wisconsin in The Hoosier Classic. Team 50 dropped to 7-9 on the season. 

Now, after a 3-0 win over Western Kentucky University on Tuesday, No. 19 Indiana has won 22 games in that 30-day stretch, extending the program record. The Hoosiers remain at the top of the Big Ten standings with a 29-9 record overall and a perfect 8-0 in conference play. Team 50 is two games ahead of Northwestern in the standings, although the Wildcats have played two fewer conference games. 

In a game that was rescheduled from March 13 due to illness within the Indiana roster, two familiar faces guided the Hoosiers to this victory: freshman infielder Taryn Kern and sophomore pitcher Brianna Copeland. 

Kern hit a two-run homer in the top of the second to give Indiana a 3-0 lead, her 16th long ball of the season to tie Indiana Hall of Famer and Olympian Michelle Venturella for most home runs in a single season. 

Copeland, on the other hand, earned win number 13 with five scoreless frames, giving up four hits while striking out four Hilltoppers as well. 

Sophomore pitcher Heather Johnson earned her third save, pitching to contact in two near-perfect innings, only giving up one walk. Johnson did not record any strikeouts. 

Indiana can extend its win streak when it hits the road for a weekend series against Minnesota. The first game of the three-game set in Minneapolis, Minnesota is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Friday. 

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.