IDS Connect beyond the byline newsroom awards

Salomé Cloteaux named fall 2023 editor-in-chief

Salomé Cloteaux was selected as the fall IDS 2023 editor-in-chief.

The IU Student Media Publications Board met Friday, April 7 and has elected junior Salomé Cloteaux as the fall 2023 editor-in-chief of the Indiana Daily Student.

Cloteaux has been on the IDS staff for four semesters and is currently a managing editor. In the past, she has been a news editor and news reporter.

Cloteaux has worked as a Press Freedom intern and Arnolt Center intern. She is also a member of the Hutton Honors College.

“Both in terms of diversity in our coverage and diversity in our newsroom, the IDS has room to improve,” Cloteaux said in her personal statement.

“Relationships between the IDS and multicultural organizations across campus have improved in recent semesters, but we must continue to actively communicate with them, tell their stories and welcome them to the newsroom.”

As editor-in-chief, Cloteaux plans to improve coverage of inequality.

“Unfortunately, journalists are not being taught how to cover inequity in a fair, sophisticated and useful way,” Cloteaux said. “It is our responsibility to educate ourselves so that we can help the underserved communities through our reporting and not unintentionally harm them simply because we did not know better.”

Cloteaux plans to expand ways of serving the community with quality content through the website and social media.