crime & courts

Bloomington Police Department investigates two separate incidents of shots fired

Crime Filler

The Bloomington Police Department is investigating two separate reports of shots fired April 8 and 9. No one was harmed, BPD Captain Ryan Pedigo said.

BPD officers responded to reports of shots fired in the 500 block of South Basswood Drive shortly after 12:30 a.m. April 8.  

Pedigo said that upon arrival, officers located bullet holes in the front of the apartment building and in the back window of a nearby car. The officers found that one bullet went through a building window into the kitchen of an apartment with two children inside. Pedigo said there were no injuries.  

Pedigo said several people in the apartment complex told officers they heard yelling followed by four to six shots of gunfire. There are currently no suspects, and the case is still active. 

[Related: Bloomington man dies Friday after threatening others, taking hostage]

In a separate occurrence, BPD officers responded to reports of shots fired at an apartment complex parking lot on the 2300 block of South Rockport Road at 6:46 p.m. April 9. 

Pedigo said upon arrival, officers found several bullet holes in three parked vehicles and empty shell casings on the ground of the parking lot.  

There were no witnesses or injuries, and the vehicles did not appear to be specifically targeted. Pedigo said this case is still active.

CORRECTION: This article has been updated to correctly specify the apartment complex where shots were reported.