crime & courts bloomington

Bloomington man dies Friday after threatening others, taking hostage

Crime Filler

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of suicide. If you are struggling with suicide or your mental health, you are not alone. Resources are available here

A man is dead after threatening four people with a handgun and taking at least one hostage, on March 10.  

A juvenile called 911 around 5:10 p.m. to report that an intoxicated 46-year-old man was holding a 76-year-old woman hostage with a handgun on the 3300 block of North Kingsley Drive, according to a release from the Bloomington Police Department. The man pointed a handgun to four people in the residence, including an 8-year-old and a 16-year-old who escaped from the house, while threatening to kill them and himself.  

Because the man was armed and holding at least one hostage, the Critical Incident Response Team and Crisis Negotiation Team responded to the scene, according to the release. The man spoke with a crisis negotiator for about 40 minutes over FaceTime while holding the 76-year-old hostage and threatening to kill himself and police officers.  

At 6:31 p.m. the man died of a self-inflicted gun wound in kitchen of the residence. The 76-year-old was able to escape, according to the release. No one else was harmed, and the investigation is ongoing.