Jackson-Davis, Hood-Schifino named finalists for more national awards

spiubbbrief030923.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball freshman guard Jalen Hood-Schifino was named a Kyle Macy National Freshman of the Year finalist Thursday, while senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis picked up a finalist nomination for the Lute Olson Player of the Year award. 

Hood-Schifino, named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year on Tuesday, averaged 13.4 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.7 assists in his first year. 

The Kyle Macy Award, named for Macy, who played his freshman year at Purdue in 1975 before transferring to the University of Kentucky for three seasons, is handed out annually to Division I’s top freshman. 

Jackson-Davis is averaging 20.5 points, 11 rebounds and 3.9 assists this season. He earned First Team All-Big Ten honors and is on multiple National Player of the Year lists as well as the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year award. 

The Lute Olson Award is named in honor of Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson, who spent most of his career at the University of Arizona and is given annually to the top player in Division I basketball.

Follow reporters Evan Gerike (@EvanGerike) and Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz), columnist Bradley Hohulin (@BradleyHohulin) and photographer Alex Paul (@alexpaulphoto) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.