arts review

COLUMN: ‘Outer Banks’ season 3: entertaining but repetitive

entobx030523-png

SPOILER ALERT: This column contains potential spoilers about the third season of “Outer Banks.” 

If you're anything like me, you’ve been anxiously awaiting season three of Netflix’s “Outer Banks” series. And if you are even more like me, you’ve finished the season’s 10 episodes in less than a week.  

I couldn’t find the energy to rewatch seasons one and two, but from all the TikToks preparing me, I was able to recall all the craziness that went on.  

We find ourselves jumping right back into the unrealistic and repetitiveness of the treasure hunt, while hoping the group doesn’t get killed at any turn they take — because somehow people always end up knowing exactly where they are.  

Related: [COLUMN: 7 songs that feel like spring

Anyway, John B (Chase Stokes) is able to reunite with his dad (Charles Halford) — who, honestly, is quite obnoxious, to say the least — and we are introduced to Singh (Andy McQueen) who, shocker, somehow knew about the treasure and is trying to kill anyone who gets in his way.  

This season I was hoping for some closure: do they find the treasure? Do John B and Sarah Cameron (Madelyn Cline) stay together, and what happens with the Cameron family? Now, this season did all that — don’t get me wrong. It was action-filled with lots of twists and turns, but at one point I was just watching and thinking, “How does any of this even make sense?” 

I just don’t understand how none of these kids’ parents get super mad at them. We see some conflict, but no punishment that is deserving enough considering they left the country multiple times without telling their parents; yet, somehow, at each adventure, the parents just simply let them go.  

During this season, the acting between Stokes and Cline was clearly off. Considering the two dated and broke up in real life and now need to play characters who are dating, you could really feel the chemistry wasn’t there — and the awkwardness. Seasons one and two were definitely more entertaining because you could truly feel the love and connection, but now I felt like there were barely any scenes — until the last episodes — where Stokes and Cline interacted.  

Despite that during this season, multiple times, I thought to myself, “How do the producers come up with this?” It doesn’t even make sense how any of these characters are able to solve these clues and piece this all together. There is no way Sarah just magically thought to place her hand on the cave and suddenly she would be steps away from the treasure. The way the producers made all these clues go together and somehow actually lead them to the treasure is really quite impressive, honestly.  

Related: [COLUMN: 3 underrated breakfast spots in Bloomington

At the end of the last episode, I didn’t feel true closure with everything. Sure, I’m extremely proud of them for solving the treasure hunt and can’t even say I was surprised to see Big John, Ward and Singh die — but I certainly think somehow Singh will end up in season four. But finally, 18 months have passed since they found the gold, and somehow life is just back to normal? Where is Rafe, and why isn’t Topper literally fuming? To top it all off — and no, you can’t just end it on a happy note — suddenly they are the Scooby-Doo gang and are being asked to set off on another quest.  

I’m honestly impressed they were able to carry out the drama into three seasons without it being too dragged on, but all good things must come to an end, right? Right. I think four seasons — of the same drama, fights and unrealistic journeys — is going to be too much and will be way too repetitive. 

But a final hope for season four: please bring back Wheezie.