sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball’s Kiandra Browne announces intent to transfer

spiuwbbbrownebrief032923.jpg

Indiana women’s basketball junior forward Kiandra Browne entered the transfer portal Wednesday, she announced via Instagram. She has two years of eligibility remaining.

Coming out of high school, Browne was ranked as the No. 75 prospect in her class according to ESPN and the No. 2 prospect out of Canada according to Crown Scout Girls. However, injuries and younger players jumping her in the rotation limited her playing time.

Browne saw inconsistent playing time her freshman year, totaling 174 minutes across 21 appearances — though she did play in all four of Indiana’s NCAA Tournament games during the Elite Eight run that season. In her sophomore year, Browne was thrust into a starting role when then-junior forward Mackenzie Holmes was out for eight games with an injury. Across the 30 games she appeared in her sophomore season, Browne averaged 13.2 minutes, 2.9 points and 3.2 rebounds.

Despite Browne’s sophomore year jump in role and production, she was unable to capitalize it at the start of this year’s season due to a thumb injury that kept her sidelined until January. By the time she did return, freshman forward Lilly Meister was already dominating the available backup post minutes and in Indiana’s short rotation, Browne was left without a consistent role.

As a result of Meister’s emergence as the first big off the bench, Browne only totaled nine minutes played across seven games. In her final appearance, Indiana’s Big Ten quarterfinals win over Michigan State, Browne was fouled hard while jostling for a rebound and had to be helped off the court. Her second injury of the season would keep her out of the Hoosiers’ remaining games in the conference and national tournaments.

Browne is the third Hoosier to enter the portal this season after sophomore guard Kaitlin Peterson left the team in December and sophomore forward Mona Zaric went into the transfer portal on Tuesday. The departures leave four Indiana roster spots open for next season.

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree), columnist Matt Press (@MattPress23) and photographer Alex Paul (@alexpaulphoto) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.