sports swimming & diving

Indiana swim and dive to host NCAA Zone C Diving Championships

spiusdpreview030823.jpg

The No. 6/8 Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive teams are back at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center for the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships.  

Unlike swimmers, who qualify for the national championship meet with performances throughout the regular season, divers earn a spot in the Zone Championships in the regular season. They then attempt to qualify for the national meet at the Zone Championships.  

Over 100 divers from schools throughout the Midwest and Great Lakes will compete in the 1-meter springboard, 3-meter springboard and the platform diving events. Qualifying spots are not distributed evenly among the three events.  

For the men, there are nine qualifying positions in the 1-meter, eight in the 3-meter and 12 in the platform event. The women have 10 spots up for grabs in the 1-meter, nine in the 3-meter and 11 spots are available for platform divers.  

For the Indiana men, graduate student Andrew Capobianco and sophomores Quinn Henninger and Carson Tyler are among the entrants. Capobianco and Tyler shared the honor of Diver of the Championship at the Big Ten Championship meet at the end of February. Also competing for the Hoosiers are freshmen Dash Glasberg, William Jansen and Maxwell Weinrich.  

The women’s side is headlined by junior Anne Fowler and sophomore Skyler Liu. The two Indiana divers were the only women in the Big Ten to qualify for all three championship finals at the conference championships back in mid-February. Sophomores Megan Carter, Morgan Casey, Alaina Heyde and redshirt senior Margaret Rogers are also diving for the women.  

Indiana divers who advance through the Zone Championships will compete at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. The women’s national championship meet runs from March 15-18 at the Allan Jones Aquatic Center in Knoxville, Tennessee. The men will compete for an NCAA title from March 22-25 at the Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center in Minneapolis.  

Follow reporter Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana swim and dive season.