Tuesday, March 19

sports baseball

Indiana baseball’s Sinnard and Taylor earn weekly honors after strong showings

spiubasebrief032123.jpeg

After a dominant performance in the series finale against Morehead State University on March 17, sophomore right-handed pitcher Luke Sinnard was named to the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper’s Players of the Week list. After a white-hot week at the dish, freshman Devin Taylor was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week. He belted multiple home runs and batted over .450 for the week.  

On March 17, Sinnard went six full innings, allowing just two hits, two earned runs and one walk and racking up 13 strikeouts. 

Sinnard struck out the first six batters he faced, and the righty retired seven of the first eight batters he faced via the punchout. His strikeout total is the most of any pitcher in the Big Ten this season. Although he did not earn the win on the mound, he left the game in position to do so, as the Hoosiers led 4-2 after his day was done.  

Taylor’s bat heated up the brisk air at Bart Kaufman Field last week. In the outfielder’s four starts, he batted .467 and tallied an OPS of 1.712, which translates to many trips down to first base as well as a lot of hard-hit balls. He led the team in both stat categories.  

Taylor reached base safely at least three times in all three games of Indiana’s sweep of Morehead State, and four of his seven hits were doubles or better. He had three home runs in the series, including a game-tying solo shot in the bottom of the ninth inning of the series opener. Taylor also picked up 4 RBIs and scored seven runs.  

The Hoosiers host Indiana State University in a midweek matchup at 5 p.m. Tuesday and begin Big Ten play versus Ohio State this weekend. Their games versus the Buckeyes are scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday, 1 p.m. on Saturday, and noon on Sunday. 

Follow reporters Matthew Byrne (@MatthewByrne1) and Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana baseball season.