Zeta Beta Tau fraternity placed on cease and desist for hazing

zbt filler.jpg

The IU chapter of Zeta Beta Tau was placed on cease and desist for hazing on Feb. 3. All activities within the chapter will be suspended until further notice. 

Related: [Sexual battery reported at Zeta Beta Tau]

Zeta Beta Tau was on disciplinary status last semester for endangering others, alcohol and non-compliance with the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life policies, and this semester, all recruitment activities were suspended Jan. 26 to Feb. 3 because of hazing. It has also been on disciplinary probation since Dec. 19, 2022, and will continue to be through Sept. 8, 2023, due to alcohol and non-compliance with OFSL policies. 

Zeta Beta Tau and Theta Chi are currently on cease and desist. There are seven Greek houses on disciplinary status and 10 on suspension, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status.  

According to the IU Student Affairs website, cease and desist is an interim measure placed upon chapters when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation. For organizations on disciplinary probation, any violation of the conditions or further acts of misconduct will result in additional consequences that may include suspension or expulsion from the university.   

This story will be updated.