sports wrestling

No. 23 Indiana Wrestling Dominates Chattanooga 32-3

spiuwrrecap022023.jpg

Indiana wrestling secured a dominant win over the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga via a 32-3 victory, its largest margin of victory in a dual meet this season. Indiana won nine out of the ten matches, with the lone defeat coming at 184 lbs. in a close 5-2 decision. Notable performances included ranked wins by freshman Henry Porter, redshirt-junior Donnell Washington, and senior Jacob Bullock, as well as a clutch buzzer-beating takedown by redshirt-senior Graham Rooks.  

Porter made quick work of his opponent at 133 lbs., upsetting No. 21 Brayden Palmer by a convincing 8-3 decision. Porter’s victory against Palmer was his second ranked victory of the season, his first coming last week against Michigan State. With those wins under his belt, Porter is getting hot just in time for the post season.

Notably, Washington took down Chattanooga's No. 10-ranked wrestler, Mocs’ junior Rocky Jordan, in a 4-1 decision. Washinton picked up a tactical takedown in the first period to go up 2-0 and was able to control the rest of the match and grab a victory for the Hoosiers at 174 lbs. Washington’s win over Jordan was his first top ten victory of the season. 

Rooks provided an exciting victory over sophomore Noah Castillo at 149 lbs. Rooks and Castillo were evenly matched throughout the six minutes and were tied at 4 a piece heading into the final seconds of the match. Rooks was able to secure a takedown just before time expired and relished victory in his last dual as a Hoosier.  

Like Rooks, heavyweight Bullock enjoyed his final dual meet of the season after posting a 17-1 technical fall.  

With the win, Indiana finishes the dual season with an 8-5 record, its best mark under head coach Angel Escobedo's leadership. The Hoosiers next compete at the Big Ten Championships on March 4-5 in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Follow reporter Aidan Pollitt (@pollitt_52) for updates throughout the match and the rest of the Indiana wrestling season.