sports water polo

No. 12 Indiana water polo to host the Indiana Classic this weekend

spiuwppreview021723.jpg

No. 12 Indiana water polo will host the Indiana Classic this weekend in Bloomington at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. The Hoosiers will face Saint Francis University, No. 13 Wagner College, University of the Pacific and Salem University.  

Indiana completed a bye week after going 2-2 in the UCSD Triton Invitational Feb. 4 to Feb. 5. The Hoosiers enter the Indiana Classic with an 8-4 overall record.  

Indiana’s first competition of the weekend will be against Saint Francis. SFU went 2-2 in the Bucknell Invitational Feb. 11 to Feb. 12 after beating Salem and Bucknell University. 

Against Bucknell, Saint Francis’ senior attacker Abigal Carter led the scoring with five goals. Saint Francis holds a 3-6 overall record.  

Indiana’s second opponent of the weekend will be Wagner. Wagner holds an 11-2 record with impressive wins over Brown University and University of California, San Diego. Wagner also beat Saint Francis 22-4 on Feb. 4 at the Brown Invite.  

Wagner is the No. 13 team in the polls this week, which is the second highest ranking in program history. The Seahawks received this ranking after scoring 20 goals in three separate games in an undefeated weekend at the Bruno Invite Feb 4. to Feb. 5.  

On the final day of the invitational, Indiana will begin against Pacific. Pacific is coming off a loss from the then-No. 1 team, Stanford University. Pacific's resume includes ranked wins against then-No. 19 San Jose State University and then- No. 6 University of California, Irvine.  

The Tigers’ stars include redshirt senior goalkeeper Clara Vulpisi, who had six steals in the win against University of La Verne Feb. 12

Indiana’s weekend will finish with a game against Salem. Salem started its season two weeks ago and only possesses a 1-3 record. The Tigers’ sole win is against Virgina Military Insitute on Feb. 4.  

Indiana and Salem have both faced Villanova University this season. Although Salem was unable to overcome Villanova, Indiana beat Villanova 19-5 at the Hoosier Invite Jan. 28.  

Indiana will commence the weekend at 10:30 a.m. against Saint Francis.

Follow reporter Marnie Sara (@marniesara5) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s water polo season.