sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive tally 14 Big Ten weekly regular season awards

spiusdbrief020123.jpg

The Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive teams added two more Big Ten weekly awards to their tally for the 2022-23 regular season on Wednesday. Sophomore Carson Tyler and junior Anne Fowler swept the diving awards for the final week of January. 

Tyler’s recognition comes on the heels of his pool record-setting performance at the University of Louisville on Jan. 27, a meet where he earned a score of 431.40 points on the 3-meter springboard and won the event by 31 points. All of Tyler’s dives scored at least 60 points, and two of his six attempts eclipsed the 80-point mark.   

Tyler has earned back-to-back Big Ten Men’s Diver of the Week awards and has accounted for two of the men’s six total awards this season. Combined with fellow sophomore Quinn Henninger and redshirt senior Andrew Capobianco, the Indiana men’s divers have taken home five weekly diving awards. Senior Brendan Burns also earned a weekly swimming award for the Hoosiers.   

Anne Fowler swept the women’s diving events in Louisville thanks to scores of 328.88 and 349.88 on the 1-meter and 3-meter events, respectively. She has earned three weekly awards in her career, two of which came in the last three award cycles.   

Along with Fowler’s pair of distinctions, the Peplowski sisters, Anna and Noelle, combined have three weekly swimming awards, with Kristina Paegle being named Freshman of the Week three times to bring the women’s total to eight on the season.   

Indiana returns to action at the Big Ten Championships in Ann Arbor. The women will start their conference title quest on Feb. 15, and the men will try to repeat as champions starting Feb. 22. 

Follow reporter Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana swim and dive season.