bloomington

Bloomington to receive $1.9 million in grant funding

careadigrant020123-png

The city of Bloomington will receive a $1.9 million grant through Indiana’s Regional Economic Acceleration and Development Initiative program.  

The investment was approved by the Indiana Uplands READI Steering Committee and Regional Opportunity Initiatives and the Indiana Economic Development Corporation. The Indiana Uplands includes Brown, Crawford, Daviess, Dubois, Greene, Lawrence, Martin, Monroe, Orange, Owen and Washington counties. 

“We are thrilled to have this opportunity to improve Bloomington's sewer infrastructure, and we'll move quickly to build the project,” Vic Kelson, Director of City of Bloomington Utilities said in a press release. 

The funds will be used for an infrastructure project with the City of Bloomington Utilities. It will benefit Monroe, Brown, Greene, Lawrence, Martin, Morgan and Owen counties. The funding will be used to replace 1,570 feet of clay sewer pipe, improving flow from South Patterson Drive and downstream along an arterial corridor. 

“It is exciting to see investments in Bloomington,” Mayor John Hamilton said in the press release. “Those of us that live and work in Bloomington invest in this city every day and having that recognized with state grant funding and jobs is a fitting complement to our work.”