District 6 city council race now uncontested after IU student Bean Appleton withdraws

news filler.jpg

Bloomington City Council District 6 is now uncontested following candidate Bean Appleton’s withdrawal from the race Wednesday. Appleton is a sophomore studying English and Spanish at IU. Only a few days after filing, Appleton told the IDS they planned to withdraw.  

They declined to say why they decided to withdraw from the race. The only candidate now running for the district is IU undergraduate student David Wolfe Bender. 

After the redistricted map was finalized late last year, District 6 covers most of IU’s campus, including almost all dorms and parts of downtown. The district was previously represented by Stephen Volan, who was redistricted into District 4 and has filed to run for an at-large seat on the council. This left District 6 without an incumbent.  

Bender, who is the director of city relations for IU Student Government, frequently speaks at council meetings. He also serves on the Parking Commission, according to his website.  

Bender currently does not have a Republican or Independent candidate running against him.  

The only other candidate running unopposed for city council is current Councilmember Dave Rollo in District 4.  

EDITOR’S NOTE: David Wolfe Bender was formerly employed by the Indiana Daily Student.