arts iu auditorium

IU Auditorium to welcome John Mellencamp, ‘Annie’ and more this semester

entauditoriumprev010423.jpg

Editor's Note: Ticket prices may increase due to seating availability.

IU Auditorium currently has 13 scheduled events for this semester, which include comedies, musicals, live performances, magicians and ballets.  

Jan. 17-19: “The Book of Mormon” 

Starting at 7:30 p.m. on all three nights, the musical follows the adventures of a mismatched pair of missionaries, sent halfway across the world to spread the Good Word. Tickets are on sale now starting at $30, with a student price of $29.  

Jan. 23: “Inside the Industry” featuring Leslie David Baker and Kate Flannery from “The Office” 

Presented by Union Board Films and Entertainment, IU invites you to a special edition of Inside the Industry at 7:00 p.m. “The Office” cast members Leslie David Baker, who plays Stanley, and Kate Flannery, who plays Meredith, will speak. Ticket prices range from $40 to $50, while student prices range from $25-$35 based on seating.  

Feb. 5-6: John Mellencamp 

Kicking off his “Live and In Person 2023 Tour” with two Bloomington performances, John Mellencamp is known for his catchy brand of heartland rock. Performing at 8:00 p.m. both evenings, ticket prices will range from $49.50 for balcony to $399 for front row VIP.  

Feb. 8-9: Fiddler on the Roof 

Featuring a live cast, orchestra and dancing from Israeli choreographer Hofesh Shechter, performances “Fiddler on the Roof” will take place at 7:30 p.m. both evenings. Ticket prices are on sale starting at $30, with a student discount price of $17.  

Feb. 11: Justin Willman: Magic for Humans 

Justin Willman, a magician and comedian, is bringing his live show to Bloomington. His goal is to take everything fans love about his Netflix show, “Magic for Humans with Justin Willman,” and pack it into a hilarious evening of mind-blowing magic and mind reading. Tickets are on sale now for $34.50 for the 7:30 p.m. show.  

Feb. 20: Jazz at Lincoln Center Presents Songs We Love 

Celebrating 50 years of jazz with some of New York's rising stars, Jazz at Lincoln Center presents “Songs We Love.” Combining their distinct talents, the group will sing through four decades of music, beginning with the early blues and jazz of the 1920s and ending in the early 1950s. Tickets are on sale now for $24 with a student discount of $14 for the 7:30 p.m. show.  

Feb. 25: Black Violin  

The “Black Violin Experience” tour starts at 8 p.m. and showcases the two-time Grammy nominated duo Black Violin, Kev Marcus and Wil Baptiste. The music invokes a mystifying musical fusion of classical sounds and hip-hop beats. Tickets start at $29 with a student discount of $16.  

March 3: Ballet Hispánico 

Ballet Hispánico will perform their first full-length narrative ballet: “Doña Perón.” Choreographed by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, “Doña Perón” is an explosive portrait of Eva Perón, one of the most recognizable, and controversial, women in Argentinian history. Tickets for the 7:30 p.m. show are on sale for $24 with a student discount of $14.  

March 7-8: “Chicago” 

With six Tony Awards, “Chicago” celebrates its 25th anniversary this year with jazz music, singing and dancing. The musical will begin at 7:30 p.m. both evenings, with ticket prices starting at $30 and a student discount of $17.  

April 3-4: “Jagged Little Pill” 

Featuring love, joy, heartache and strength, “Jagged Little Pill” follows the story of a perfectly imperfect American family. With both performances starting at 7:30 p.m., tickets are on sale for $30 with a student discount of $17.  

April 6: First Thursdays festival 

Hosted by IU Arts and Humanities Council on the Fine Arts Plaza, First Thursdays festivals showcase the diversity of arts and humanities at IU and offer a welcoming environment for students, faculty, staff and community members to explore creative outlets. Previous festivals have included everything from opera to clay-throwing. This event is free and is scheduled to start at 5:00 p.m. and last approximately three hours.  

April 11-12: “Annie” 

This musical feature celebrates family, optimism and high spirits even with the hard knocks life throws your way. “Annie,” directed by Jenn Thompson, will begin at 7:30 p.m. both evenings, and tickets are on sale now for $30 with a student discount of $17.  

April 25: Emanuel Ax  

Emanuel Ax is a Grammy-winning classical pianist. Music in his performance will include work from Franz Shubert and Franz Liszt, who are both composers. Ax’s performance will begin at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are on sale for $24 with a student discount of $14.