education

Indiana high school graduation rates hold steady

cagraduationrates010323-jpeg

The Indiana Department of Education released the statewide 2022 graduation rates Friday, Dec. 30, reflecting an overall steady graduation rate for students across the state.  

According to a recent IDOE press release, 86.61% of students in the class of 2022 graduated, a slight decrease from 86.69% in 2021. Lower than the 2019 statewide graduation rate of 87.29%, this year’s data indicates many Indiana students are continuing to recover from pandemic-related learning disruptions.  

The graduation rate for students in the Monroe County Community School Corporation was 92.62%, which increased by 0.75% since 2021. MCCSC’s 2022 graduation rate was 6.01% greater than the statewide average.   

Statewide, graduation rates increased for several demographics, including for Black, Hispanic, English Language Learners and special education students. Graduation rates for students receiving free and reduced-price meals also increased from 82.84% in 2021 to 83.74% in 2022.  

Additionally, rates for non-waiver graduations improved in 2022 from 78.78% to 80.58%. Non-waivers graduation rates account for the number of students who complete their diploma requirements without needing a waiver. According to Indiana Code 20-32-4-4.1, in order to qualify for a waiver, students will have been unsuccessful in completing post-secondary-readiness competency requirements by the conclusion of their senior year.  

Along with its state graduation rates, IDOE also released the state’s federal graduation rates, which hold different accountability standards than the state graduation rates. In 2022, Indiana’s federal graduation rate was 85.12%. 

Educators are rethinking the structure of high school education to help students transition to life after graduation Katie Jenner, Indiana Secretary of Education, stated in the press release. 

“This includes increasing the number of students having access to a high-value postsecondary credential before graduation, increasing access to high-quality work-based learning opportunities that allow for additional skill development, as well as providing flexibility for high schools,” Jenner said in the release.  

The release of Indiana’s graduation rates comes after several state leaders in education have expressed priorities addressing high school education for the upcoming legislative session. Rep. Todd Huston, R-Fishers, stated during a November Indiana Chamber of Commerce event his caucus is aiming to reinvent high school by providing more options for classes and work-based learning opportunities, according to a Northeast Indiana Public Radio article.  

In an Indiana Public Media article, Sen. J.D Ford, D-Indianapolis, said along with an LGBTQ+ student protection bill, his caucus will focus on mental health for the upcoming legislative session. Ford said for children in Indiana ages 10 to 14 the leading cause of death is student suicide. Additionally, Ford said in the article that for Indiana youth aged 15 to 17, student suicide is the second cause of death following motor vehicle accidents.  

The upcoming legislative session will likely also see discussion surrounding literacy development following Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb’s announcement in August that the state will fund an $111 million investment aimed at targeting Indiana’s literacy rate for young students. According to the 2022 Indiana Reading Evaluation and Determination test, one in five Indiana third graders lacked fundamental skills required to become successful readers. Holcomb said funding, financed in partnership with Lilly Endowment Inc., will go towards specialized teacher training and support for students with the greatest difficulty learning to read. 

“Reading is fundamental to each student’s lifelong opportunities, and it’s foundational to the core of our state’s future,” Holcomb said in an August press release. “This immense investment will make an enduring impact on our youngest generation of Hoosiers, empowering them with fundamental skills that they will carry with them throughout their lives.”