Indiana grabs freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson from the transfer portal

spiufbqbbrief011523.jpg

Freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson announced his commitment to Indiana football via his Twitter Saturday morning.

Jackson played high school football at Center Grove High School in Greenwood, Indiana. As a four-star pro-style quarterback in the class of 2022, he committed to the University of Tennessee in April 2021.

As a freshman at Tennessee, Jackson didn’t see much playing time, throwing just four passes for fourteen yards and a single touchdown during the 2022 season. Jackson entered the transfer portal last Friday.

His stint in the portal was short-lived. On Saturday, he traveled to Bloomington and sat courtside with Indiana head football coach Tom Allen and Indiana offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Walt Bell to watch Indiana men’s basketball win over No. 18 Wisconsin. The next day Jackson committed to Indiana, in a massive acquisition for the Hoosiers.

Jackson is the brother of Indiana men’s basketball star senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis. Jackson-Davis took to Twitter to show his enthusiasm for his brother’s commitment.

Jackson comes to a program in dire need of a consistent quarterback who can stay on the field. The Hoosiers, who finished 4-8 in the 2022 season, lost three quarterbacks to the transfer portal and redshirt sophomore Dexter Williams II to a season-ending knee injury against Purdue on Nov. 26.

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.