sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer collects Big Ten honors, Munie repeats as Defensive Player of the Year

spiumsbrief110422.jpg

The Big Ten announced its conference awards for the 2022 season Friday. Six Hoosiers collected honors, including two players who garnered first-team selections.  

Redshirt senior defender Daniel Munie was named the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive season, marking the first time in Indiana history a defender has done so. Munie notched two goals and an assist on the season in addition to serving as the team’s captain and anchor of the backline.  

The Maryland Heights, Missouri native also earned First-Team All-Big Ten distinction. Additionally, redshirt senior forward Ryan Wittenbrink nabbed a selection to the first team. 

Wittenbrink has enjoyed a massive breakout campaign, scoring seven goals and tallying six assists. Prior to this season, Wittenbrink mostly played in a rotational capacity, but he has stepped up as the primary set-piece taker and top goal-scoring threat.  

Senior forward Herbert Endeley and sophomore forward Tommy Mihalic were named to the Second-Team All-Big Ten. Endeley has scored three goals and five assists on the year en route to his third straight second-team selection.  

Mihalic, a native of Skokie, Illinois, was named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Team last season. In his sophomore campaign, Mihalic tallied six goals in the regular season, good for second on the team.  

Freshman midfielder Jack Waggoner earned All-Big Ten Freshman Team honors. After playing sparse minutes early in the season, Waggoner became a consistent presence in the central midfield and started four of the final five regular season matches.  

Rounding out the awards, senior defender Brett Bebej was named Indiana’s Big Ten Sportsmanship honoree. Bebej has started all but one match this season and played minutes at several different positions.  

Follow reporters Kamil Gut (@GutKamil) and Matt Press (@MatthewPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season. 
Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue’s student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 “wins” the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.