INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football offense collapses, Penn State takes contest 45-14

spiufbinstant110522.jpg

Indiana football came into its matchup with Penn State hoping to get an upset and break its ever-growing losing streak. Neither happened, and with an injury to the game’s starting quarterback Jack Tuttle, Indiana’s younger players saw a glimpse of the field. Freshman quarterback Brendan Sorsby and redshirt sophomore Dexter Williams both saw time leading the offense but couldn’t swing the game in the Hoosiers’ favor. Indiana kept it close for the first quarter before failing to move the ball and allowing Penn State to score at will with its rushing attack. In the end, the Hoosiers fell 45-14. 

First Quarter 

Indiana started the game on defense after deferring possession. On the next Penn State possession, it got to the Indiana 2-yard line on a senior receiver Mitchell Tinsley catch. Two plays later, Penn State freshman running back Nick Singleton found paydirt to put the Nittany Lions up 7-0. Indiana retaliated on its next drive when Tuttle found junior tight end AJ Barner from 11 yards out to even the score at seven. A Clifford tipped pass was intercepted by Tiawan Mullen to close the quarter. 

Indiana 7, Penn State 7 

Second Quarter 

The second quarter of action began with a slew of punts from both sides. With just under 10 minutes to play in the second quarter, Penn State freshman running back Kaytron Allen broke out for a 27-yard gain and then finished off the drive with a touchdown from 11 yards out. Following another Indiana punt, Allen scored again to make it 21-7. Then, following three straight sacks from the Nittany Lion defense and a Tuttle injury, Penn State made a 50-yard field goal on its next drive to extend its lead to 24-7 at half. 

Penn State 24, Indiana 7 

Third Quarter 

Indiana received the opening kickoff of the second half and the offense fizzled quickly. With both teams off to a slow start, Sorsby was intercepted on a deep pass by Penn State sophomore defensive back Kalen King with 11:15 left in the third. To cap off the seven-play drive, Allen scored his third touchdown of the game from six yards out to make the score 31-7 with 8:21 remaining in the third. Williams entered the game at quarterback for Indiana as the offense struggled with Tuttle and Sorsby. After a positive drive, Williams’ pass was tipped and intercepted by Penn State freshman defensive end Dani Dennis-Sutton to halt the Hoosiers’ attack. 

Penn State 31, Indiana 7 

Fourth Quarter 

Just under a minute into the quarter, Penn State freshman quarterback Drew Allar found Harrison Wallace III streaking across the back of the end zone for a touchdown to make the score 38-7. Williams threw an interception to Daequon Hardy to give the ball right back. On the next play, Allar found Theo Johnson for his second touchdown pass of the quarter. Indiana freshman running back Jaylin Lucas punched it in on a successful Hoosier drive with 6:16 to play. 

Final Score: Penn State 45, Indiana 14