Here’s how you can help support local nonprofits serving the unhoused community 

<p>The sign of the Wheeler Mission Center for Men is pictured at 215 S. Westplex Ave. Places like the Wheeler Mission Center, the Middleway House, a New Hope for Families and Healing Hands Outreach Center offer care for families and individuals seeking shelter and supplies during the winter.</p>

The sign of the Wheeler Mission Center for Men is pictured at 215 S. Westplex Ave. Places like the Wheeler Mission Center, the Middleway House, a New Hope for Families and Healing Hands Outreach Center offer care for families and individuals seeking shelter and supplies during the winter.

Beacon Inc.  

• Consider donating virtually or in-person 

• Sign up to volunteer in shifts at Shalom, the day shelter in the kitchen or at the welcome desk. If interested, you can also sign up to work at Friend’s Place, the night shelter, or as a driver for picking up assorted materials 

• Interested parties can contact Novella Shuck, the volunteer coordinator, at novella@beaconinc.org or ACE@beaconinc.org if you’re an IU student with a community engagement or service-learning course requirement. 

• See this page for requested donations 

A New Hope for Families 

• Apply to be a volunteer  

• Visit this page to learn how to donate money or new/gently used items  

• This is a list of immediate needs updated recently 

• Join the organization at various fundraisers 

Wheeler Mission 

• Currently any monetary donations will be used for meals and related care for Thanksgiving 

• Donors have the choice of donating once or on a monthly basis 

• Click here to learn about active volunteering opportunities  

Middle Way House  

• Sign up to volunteer at least four hours a week. Contact volunteer@middlewayhouse.org to learn more about pre-service training sessions and dates 

• Contact various government officials about legislation to help make a difference 

• Donate in different capacities – funds, wish list items, etc.  

• Shop online and in local stores to support MWH 

Healing Hands Outreach Center, Inc. 

• Interested volunteers can sort donations and re-fill shelves. Such opportunities are open throughout the week but also on the first and third Saturday of each month. Sign up here 

• See the donation page to learn how you can contribute to the organization 

United Way of Monroe County 

• Visit this page to learn how to donate to the organization 

• Check the events calendar to see what activities to attend 

• Learn more about ways to advocate for reform in housing and securities, early childhood educational resources and more  

• Volunteer in various roles  

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.