Monday, March 18

arts community events

‘Spellbound’ immersive theater, Halloween drag performance to kick off this weekend

entspellboundprev100422.jpg

The Drima Events Company will welcome guests to “Spellbound,” an immersive theater experience and drag performance, beginning at 8:30 p.m. Friday at the Bonne Fête gift shop on West Sixth Street.  

“Spellbound” will feature a drag performance, potion making, costume contest and other activities. The show takes place at the fictional Bonne Fête Museum of the Occult – a collection of witchy attractions and oddities. After business hours, the museum houses the Spellbound Society, an exclusive club of the practicing occultists.  

Related: [Buskirk-Chumley Theater to host Amethyst House fundraiser with Kevin Morby on Oct. 12]

Audience members can attempt to be initiated into the society, and a select few can participate in the Sanderson Sisters project, based on the film Hocus Pocus. The cast will consist of local drag performers Santana Sword, Walter Bucket, Beelzebabe and Luna Magick

Tickets for the event are $45 and are available for purchase online. There are multiple event times from Oct. 7 to 9 and 14 to 16. For younger crowds, there are family-friendly showtimes available at 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 9 and 16. While those showtimes will be free of explicit language, children are welcome at any of the showtimes at their parents’ discretion, according to Drima’s website.  

The production company, which opened in January 2022, is run by three sisters — Kate, Holland and Kenzie Colvin — who call themselves the “Drima Team.” The Bloomington-based siblings look to create immersive reality events to make audience members feel as though they’re part of the performance.  

“Attending a Drima event means getting transported to a different time, another dimension, or the edges of your wildest dreams,” according to the company’s Facebook page. “These intricately designed experiences are unique and interactive—meaning no one will have an experience exactly like yours.” 

Related: [Andrew Dominik wants Marilyn Monroe to suffer in ‘Blonde’]

Growing up, Kate Colvin frequently organized immersive games or birthday parties for her sisters and friends. On their website, the Colvin sisters recall Kate creating a murder mystery birthday dinner, a Harry Potter cocktail potion-brewing event and a The Man from U.N.C.L.E. themed celebration. Now, the sisters are finally able to bring their talents to life with Drima events.   

“She has always shared her immersive event knowledge with us so selflessly,” Holland and Kenzie Colvin said on their website. “We are so excited to be able to share it with the Bloomington community too.”