Tuesday, March 19

sports golf

Indiana women’s golf finishes 10th at Evie Odom Invitational

spiuwgrecap100222.jpg

Indiana women’s golf finished in 10th place out of 15 teams at the Evie Odom Invitational over the weekend. Senior Alexis Florio had a record performance in the final round of the competition at Princess Anne Country Club in Virginia Beach, Virginia. 

The Hoosiers finished the first round in 13th place on Thursday with a score of 307 before play was suspended due to gusting weather. Once play resumed, the Hoosiers got into a groove, finishing the second round with a score of 281, which placed them in 12th. The third round saw the Hoosiers come back and finish 10th with a final score of 870.  

“After that first day, we settled down,” head coach Brian May said. “The delay helped us regroup and that showed in our play.” 

Florio, a transfer from Columbia, was tied for 11th after the first round with a score of 72 (+2), but put in an impressive second round, scoring 69 (-1) which placed her in sixth. In the third round, she continued improving, finishing with the third-best third round score of 64 (-6) to finish the tournament in third with a total score of 205 (-5). Her third-round and tournament scores were both Indiana program records. 

“Lexi is special. She’s so easy to coach and her performance was great to watch,” May said.  

Junior Valerie Clancy also had an impressive tournament, finishing tied for 14th with a score of 214 (+4). Fellow Junior Dominika Burdova finished tied for 64th with a score of 226 (+26) to finish third among Hoosiers. Sophomore Margaret Fernandez finished 67th with a score of 227 (+17) and junior Morgan Dabagia finished tied for 78th with a score of 236 (+26) to round out Indiana’s performance. 

Indiana has next week off before they travel to West Point, Mississippi, for the Ally Invitational on Oct. 17 at Old Waverly Golf Club.  

“These next two weeks at home will help us prepare for Mississippi,” May said. “It will give us time to focus on what we need to do as a team to be competitive.”