IU students face antisemitic attack at their apartment this past week  

<p>The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center is seen May 12, 2008. A mezuzah was ripped off and set on fire at a student&#x27;s apartment this past week in an act of antisemitism.</p>

The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center is seen May 12, 2008. A mezuzah was ripped off and set on fire at a student's apartment this past week in an act of antisemitism.

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of antisemitism. 

A mezuzah was ripped off and set on fire this past week at an apartment IU students were living in, according to an Instagram post by the Institute for the Study of Contemporary Antisemitism at IU on Oct. 3. 

A mezuzah is a piece of parchment typically placed outside a doorway and has biblical passages from the Torah inscribed on it to bless the space and serve as a reminder of the Jewish faith. 

The ISCA said they stand in solidarity with the students and condemn such antisemitic hate crimes. 

The ISCA has resources on its website for monitoring antisemitism and sharing its research on antisemitism. It also offers courses covering high-level scholarly research into present-day manifestations of anti-Jewish animosity. 

IU Hillel also launched an Antisemitism Prevention Task Force following a series of antisemitic incidents on IU’s campus last fall.  

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.