IU Hillel opens new Jewish Culture Center

<p>The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center is pictured May 12, 2008. A new Jewish Culture Center opened in partnership with IU Hillel and is dedicated to supporting Jewish faculty, staff and students. </p>

The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center is pictured May 12, 2008. A new Jewish Culture Center opened in partnership with IU Hillel and is dedicated to supporting Jewish faculty, staff and students.

The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center opened a new Jewish Culture Center on the Bloomington campus dedicated to supporting Jewish faculty, staff and students, according to an IU press release on May 3. 

The Jewish Culture Center focuses on educating the IU community about Jewish culture and examining Judaism as a civilization. The culture center provides opportunities for Jewish students to develop leadership skills and connect with Judaism, according to Hillel's website

The center, located in Hillel, is open to members of IU's Jewish community as well as those wanting to learn more about Jewish culture, the press release said. 

A variety of cultural, social and academic events and activities are offered at the culture center, such as Shabbat dinner and services, community advocacy initiatives, travel abroad programs to Israel and more. The Jewish Culture Center also includes a kosher dining hall, a chapel, a library and learning center and a fireplace lounge.

The Jewish Culture Center was opened in partnership with the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs. It continues partnerships with the Borns Jewish Studies Program, Greek life and other campus culture centers, according to the press release. 

Last fall, Hillel launched an Antisemitism Prevention Task Force in response to a string of antisemitic incidents at IU. The Jewish Culture Center is another way to combat antisemitism and create a welcoming space for people of all faiths on campus, the press release said. 

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.