crime & courts

IU Police Department receives multiple reports of rape since Oct. 5 

Crime Filler

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of sexual violence. 

The IU Police Department received one direct report and four third-party reports of sexual assault forwarded from the Office of Student Conduct, according to an IU Crime Notice email.  

The most recent report was made Oct. 7, according to the email.  

Another sexual assault was reported Oct. 5 and said to have occurred at an on-campus residential building, according to the IUPD daily crime log. The report was delayed, meaning it was submitted weeks, months or years after the incident. IUPD Deputy Chief Shannon Bunger said in an email that a third party reported a student had been allegedly sexually assaulted by another student at the victim’s unknown residence hall, sometime in the summer or fall of 2022. The case was referred to university officials for review. 

IUPD received another delayed report Oct. 5 of a sexual assault at Read Hall. The incident allegedly occurred on or around July 24, Bunger said. Bunger said the case was referred to university officials for review. The case is listed as open, according to the crime log.  

The Crime Notice email said these assaults were reported to have occurred beginning mid-July 2022 through the beginning of the fall 2022 semester, at both on-campus residences and off-campus locations. One third-party report of sexual assault was reported to have occurred in Forest residence hall.  

The incidents involved the same suspect and multiple victims, the email said, and the suspect is known to the victims and IUPD. In two cases, it was reported the suspect engaged in nonconsensual sexual contact with the victim while they were asleep. The other third-party reports were described as sexual assault, but the nature of the behavior was not provided.  

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.