Friday, July 26

sports tennis

Indiana men’s tennis stays in-state to compete in Notre Dame Invitational

spiumtenpreview102822.jpg

Indiana men’s tennis continues to battle through the back end of its fall schedule in South Bend, Indiana, at the Fighting Irish Mini-Dual Event, beginning Friday and running through Sunday. 

The Hoosiers will send four players — the team’s four freshmen — to South Bend. The roster includes Ekansh Kumar, Sam Landau, Andrew Meier and Luc Boulier. 

“It’s going to be a trip for us to get to know those guys a little more and let them compete together and play some different competition,” head coach Jeremy Wurtzman said. “Getting to know their games and personalities is going to be a really good experience for us.” 

The Fighting Irish Mini-Dual Event is a doubles-only event with 16 duos from eight different schools. Illinois, DePaul University, Western Michigan University, Michigan State, Northwestern, the University of Louisville and host University of Notre Dame make up Indiana’s competition. 

Luc Boulier and Andrew Meier are one of the Hoosier pairings. The duo’s first-round draw is against a pairing from the host team. 

The team of Sam Landau and Ekansh Kumar’s first-round match is against a talented duo from DePaul — freshman Aleksa Krivokapic and sophomore Marino Jakic. The latter is the reigning Big East Freshman of the Year and Big East Championship Most Outstanding Player. 

Wurtzman reiterated the idea that the primary goal of the fall is to grow as a team and get ready for the spring. This is the Hoosiers’ last chance to do so in their final fall tournament next weekend: the Big Ten Singles and Doubles Championships in Ann Arbor, Michigan. 

Follow reporter Zach Browning (@ZachBrowning17) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s tennis season.