INSTANT RECAP: Indiana loses fifth straight game on the road against Rutgers

spiufbinstantrecap102222.jpg

Indiana lost to Rutgers on the road in Piscataway, New Jersey, Saturday afternoon, 24-17. With the loss, the Hoosiers fall to 3-5 on the season. 

Receiving the opening kickoff to start the game, Indiana wasted no time. Freshman running back Jaylin Lucas returned it all the way down the field for a touchdown. Already up 7-0, Indiana’s first offense possession ended in the end zone, with a rushing touchdown by redshirt junior quarterback Connor Bazelak. 

END OF FIRST QUARTER: Indiana 14, Rutgers 0 

In the second quarter, both offenses struggled, and both teams traded punts. Rutgers came up with the lone score in the second quarter with a pass from senior quarterback Nick Vedral into the back of the end zone to senior receiver Sean Ryan, who was ruled to have completed the catch after bobbling the ball.  

HALFTIME: Indiana 14, Rutgers 7 

To start the third quarter, on a Rutgers offensive drive that lasted over six minutes, the Scarlett Knights cut the deficit to 4 points with a field goal from 49 yards out, however, Indiana still led 14-10. On the next drive, the Scarlet Knights had another long possession spanning almost seven minutes, ending in the end zone from a short run from freshman Samuel Brown V to take their first lead of the game, 17-10 going into the fourth quarter. 

END OF THIRD QUARTER: Indiana 14, Rutgers 17 

The fourth quarter consisted of both teams trading punts and struggling to get any offense going. The two teams also each managed to miss crucial long field goals. It wasn’t until a Bazelak pass found the hands of senior defensive back Christian Braswell who returned the interception for a touchdown, extending the lead for Rutgers and securing the eventual win. Indiana inched closer with a late fourth quarter field goal but lost, 24-17. 

FINAL: Indiana 17, Rutgers 24 

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.