Indiana football receiver Cam Camper out for the rest of the season with torn ACL

spiufbpresserrecap103122.jpg

Junior leading receiver Cam Camper will be out for the remainder of the 2022 Indiana football season with a torn ACL suffered on Oct. 22 in the game’s second quarter against Rutgers.

“Feel terrible for him,” Indiana football head coach Tom Allen said in a press conference Monday afternoon. “He’s part of our team. He’ll be in that long road to recovery. Our staff will do a great job of getting him back and having him ready for the fall.”

With 5:07 left in the first quarter against Rutgers, Indiana set up at its own 25-yard line. The first play of the drive, a throw from junior quarterback Connor Bazelak, was in the middle of the field to Camper for 11 yards.

The second completion is to the right side of the field for eight yards to Camper again. For the third and final time, Bazelak went to the right side of the field to Camper for just four yards. Rutgers’ sophomore defensive back Desmond Igbinosun was on the tackle.

Camper appeared to be injured after the third completion, and he left for the rest of the game.

Those three plays from the Hoosiers were all no huddle plays, with Bazelak setting up in the shotgun for all of them.

Nine days later, Allen revealed Camper has torn his ACL and will be sidelined for the rest of the season. Camper will have surgery in the near future.

Camper has been Indiana’s leading receiver for the duration of the 2023 season. His 569 yards lead the team, more than 250 yards more than the next receiver. Camper played in seven of eight games this year and was featured as the leading receiver in all seven.

Camper is one of 16 transfer student-athletes to debut for the Hoosiers this season. He played at Trinity Valley Community College prior to coming to Indiana.

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.