politics

Free UBER rides to the polls available for Monroe County voters

canowpoll102322-illo

Bloomington-based organizations are partnering with UBER to provide free round-trip rides to Monroe County voting sites via UBER vouchers. The rides are funded by a grant from the National Organization for Women Foundation. 

Information on how to get a voucher can be found here or in the embedded QR code. Those interested can get a free ride to vote early or on Election Day itself.

Related: [IU students discuss the importance of early voting after centers opened Oct. 12]

The voucher program comes from the Monroe County National Organization for Women, along with the Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, IU Student Government, the League of Women Voters of Bloomington-Monroe County, IU Civics Leader Center, IU Political and Civic Engagement and the IU and Monroe County chapters of the NAACP.  

“We asked nonvoters and students what some of the biggest barriers were to getting out to vote. Transportation and accessibility were some of the top concerns,” Monroe County NOW President Natalia Galvan said in a press release. “We want to do all we can to remove as many obstacles to voting as possible.” 

The vouchers are available for all Monroe County residents, but the program’s major target is students. According to a press release, just over 13% of Monroe County voters voted in the May 3 primary elections, and a majority of low voter turnout precincts were student precincts. 

Related: [Indiana Secretary of State candidate, 3 other midterm candidates deny election results]

"Students have no less a stake in the well-being of this community as non-students do,” Bloomington City Councilor Steve Volan said in a press release.  

Early voting began Oct. 12 and Election Day is Nov. 8.