sports men's soccer

Draw overshadows Indiana men’s soccer’s dominant play against Rutgers, weakens title hopes

spiumsocsidebar100922.jpg

Since overtime was scratched from college soccer prior to the beginning of the 2022 regular season, draws have become more commonplace in Division I play, especially across the Big Ten. 

Up and down the conference table, there are considerable differences when comparing last season’s records to this season. In 2021, three of the nine teams in the Big Ten, including Indiana men’s soccer, finished conference play without a draw. Four teams finished with just one draw, while only one finished with two.  

Following its 2-2 finish against Rutgers on Sunday in Piscataway, New Jersey, Indiana now has three draws through five Big Ten matches this fall. The result pushed the Hoosiers’ conference mark to 1-1-3 and further dampened their chances at a regular season title. 

Initially, most programs and coaches across the nation reacted to the rule change with relief, citing benefits such as a decrease in injuries and preserving players’ fitness. Indiana head coach Todd Yeagley has always been in the minority, though.  

After the team’s previous draws this season, Yeagley said the Hoosiers likely would have won if given the two 10-minute overtime periods to work with. Based on the momentum and attacking possession the Hoosiers had toward the closing stages in those matches, Yeagley said the draws were not indicative of the team’s performances. 

This was the case again Sunday. Indiana needed a victory to keep its Big Ten title fate in its own hands rather than relying too heavily on other results to go its way, but instead, the team settled for another disappointing score line. 

The Hoosiers got off to a fast start, scoring in the third minute through a long throw-in that fell to sophomore forward Tommy Mihalic in the penalty area. Within minutes, though, the high-powered Scarlet Knights offense equalized through senior forward MD Myers’ team-leading 10th goal of the season. 

The back-and-forth nature carried on for the rest of the first half. Redshirt senior defender Daniel Munie cut through Rutgers’ back line in the 15th minute and rounded the goalkeeper to put Indiana ahead again 2-1, but a series of quick and composed passes broke down Indiana’s defensive shape in the 29th minute to tie the match at 2-2. 

Though the Hoosiers didn’t do themselves any favors by conceding two leads, there was still another half to play. Their defense stepped up in the second half, holding the Scarlet Knights without a single shot on target in that span.

In the meantime, the Hoosiers’ offense took control of the tempo and applied constant pressure on their opponent’s unorganized defense. The Hoosiers outshot the Scarlet Knights 6-5 in the second half and won the corner battle 4-1. 

Despite all the dangerous chances, Indiana once again lost the battle against the clock and walked away with a draw.

The collective frustration was visible after the final whistle, as a group of Hoosiers dropped to the pitch clutching their heads over what could’ve been. One player booted the ball high in the air across the field to express his disappointment. 

Both the Big Ten Tournament and NCAA Tournament will include overtime if it is necessary, but for now, Indiana’s failure to capitalize on its long stretches of dominance in the normal 90-minute period is setting back the team’s record and hunt for silverware. 

Fortunately for Indiana, league-leading No. 8 Maryland also dropped two valuable points in a 1-1 draw against Northwestern on Sunday. With three matches to go in Big Ten play, Maryland remains on top of the table with 11 points while Indiana has just six. 

The maximum points the Hoosiers can now earn is 15 if they win out, with a regular season finale against the Terrapins at home serving as a potential title decider. Because of Sunday’s result, though, the Hoosiers need outside help to keep that matchup meaningful on Oct. 30. 

Indiana will face Penn State at 6:30 p.m. Friday back in Bloomington in what is now considered a must-win match for the Big Ten title race. 

Follow reporters Kamil Gut (@GutKamil) and Matt Press (@MatthewPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s soccer season.