sports women's basketball

Berger, Holmes earn Big Ten preseason honors, Indiana women’s basketball predicted top-3

spiuwbbbrief100522.jpg

The Indiana women’s basketball team was voted to finish second by media and third by conference coaches in the 2022-23 Big Ten preseason poll, the conference announced Wednesday. Graduate guard Grace Berger and senior forward Mackenzie Holmes were selected to the All-Big Ten team by both outlets. 

The Hoosiers are coming off a fifth-place finish in the Big Ten regular season with appearances in the Big Ten Tournament championship game and the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen. Indiana returns two starters, Berger and Holmes, along with five players off the bench. 

[Related: ‘All the pieces are in place’: Indiana women’s basketball expects championship-level season]

Berger played and started all of Indiana’s 33 games last season. The graduate guard led the Hoosiers in scoring, averaging 16.2 points per game, along with 6.5 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game. Berger was first-team All-Big Ten and an All-American honorable mention by several voting outlets in 2021-22. 

Holmes played and started 25 games last season, with injuries holding her out of eight games. She was second on the team in scoring, averaging 15.2 points per game, and led the team in rebounding with seven per game. Holmes was a second team All-Big Ten member and a WBCA All-American honorable mention. 

Indiana was voted to finish behind Iowa in both polls and behind Ohio State, as well, by the coaches. The Hoosiers are scheduled to face both teams twice in Big Ten play. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree) and columnist Matt Press (@MatthewPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.