Sunday, Sept. 1

arts community events

Need plans this Labor Day weekend? Here’s what is going on in Bloomington

entlabordaywknd090122.jpg

Art, music and sports will take center stage as the City of Bloomington celebrates the unofficial end of summer this Labor Day weekend. Browse through the listicle below to see what the city has to offer for those wanting to explore more of Bloomington. 

45th Fourth Street Festival of Arts and Crafts 

The Fourth Street Festival of Arts and Crafts will celebrate its 45th anniversary this weekend, with the event running from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Almost 120 local, national and international artists will showcase art. Eleven live performances will occur throughout the day. The 2022 Jerry Farnsworth Music Stage — located on the corner of Fourth Street and Dunn Street — will play host to this year’s 11 performers. Admission to the festival is free. 

Emerging Artist Fashion Show & Gallery Walk 

Celebrate local and regional art in downtown Bloomington as part of the Gallery Walk, which features 14 galleries within walking distance of each other, refreshments and special exhibits. The Gallery Walk occurs on the first Friday of every month and the businesses will be open from 5 to 8 p.m. 

Related: [First Thursdays festival returns, welcomes IU students to explore the arts and humanities

Weekend farmers market 

Three Bloomington farmers markets will be open during Labor Day weekend: Bloomington Community Farmers Market from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Woolery Farmers Market from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday and Smithville Farmers Market, also from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.  

IU football season opener 

The Fighting Illini are coming to Bloomington Friday to face off against IU at Memorial Stadium. The IU season opener game starts at 8 p.m. with stadium doors opening at 6:30 p.m.  

Related: [COLUMN: What to look for in Indiana football’s season-opener against Illinois] 

Live music at The Bluebird 

Read Southall Band will perform at 8 p.m. on Friday at The Bluebird, a 21+ musical venue. Admission is $12 and the doors open at 7 p.m.