opinion letters

LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: Daily national headlines can now be found at the IDS

letterfromtheeditor.jpg

At the IDS, we always emphasize showing our readers the local angle.  

You see that all over our website — local news, local stories, local opinions. Even many national and international headlines, we tell you, our readers and priority, how it will affect you here in Monroe County.  

Based on our commitment to the community, the Indiana Daily Student is adding a new branch to our coverage, which was launched earlier this week. There are some stories we just don’t have the time to write or the ability to localize to our readers. Nevertheless, it is still important for our community to have access to this information. 

Therefore, this week, we started our “National news” section on the IDS website. You can find it here or at the bottom of our homepage.  

Where are these articles coming from? Good question. It’s coming from what we call a wire service, which is a news agency that gathers articles from participating publications and sells them to papers who subscribe to them to republish the content.  

Some wire services you may already know include the Associated Press, the ones with the college football and basketball polls, and Reuters, one of the largest news agencies in the world. The wire service we use is called the Tribune News Service, which brings us content from major publications like The Miami Herald, The Los Angeles Times and Bloomberg News. 

Every morning, I, the editor-in-chief, will pick out the top stories and publish them in this section. This will include national events, sports scores, political news and scientific advancements.  

You will still receive the same great journalism from your independent student newspaper, or should I say, city-focused student newspaper. There is no reorganization of our resources; we are just utilizing a tool available to us to better inform our community.  

Have any questions? Want to see us cover something specific?  

Let me know your questions, comments and concerns at editor@idsnews.com.  

Cate Charron 

Editor-in-Chief