Trio of Indiana football players take home weekly honors after Illinois win

spiufbplayerpresser090622.jpg

On Monday, freshman linebacker Dasan McCullough, junior wide receiver Cam Camper and redshirt senior Charles Campbell all took home weekly honors for their performance in the win against Illinois Friday night.

McCullough was named to the “10 best freshmen” from week one by 247Sports according to an Indiana football Twitter post.

McCullough had six total tackles in the Hoosiers’ 23-20 win against Illinois Friday night.

Prior to kickoff, McCullough admits he had some nerves prior to his first college football game in his career, but his mindset going into the game was simply, do whatever it takes to help the team win.

“It shows how tough we are, we don't have any quit in us,” McCullough said in an interview on Monday.

Camper was also named an Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award Honorable Mention, according to a tweet by Indiana football. The award honors players each week in lead up to the conclusion of the season when it is given to the nation’s best offensive player.

Camper caught 11 passes for 156 yards, both were the most of any player on the field.

A Lou Groza Award Star of the Week was given to Campbell according to a Twitter post from Indiana football. The award is given to the best kickers of the week. Campbell went 3/3 on his field goal attempts and 2/2 on the point after attempts against Illinois.

For Campbell, who accounted for 11 of the Hoosier’s 23 points, the significance of the win is not just important in the record column.

“So proud of our team,” Campbell said in an interview on Monday. “It’s great for our confidence for our team as a whole.”