Information and resources for mental health illnesses and suicide

camentalhealth091122.jpg

According to data from the World Population Review, Indiana has had 972 suicides just in 2022 and has a suicide rate of 14.2 per 100,000 people. According to data from Mental Health America, in 2022 1,125,000 adults in Indiana suffer from any type of mental illnesses.  

To help our community better address this issue, the Indiana Daily Student put together a list of resources and information for people seeking help for themselves or others who are struggling with mental health illnesses and suicide. 

The most common suicide warning signs:  

• Long-lasting sadness or mood swings 

• Suddenly becoming calm after a period of depression or mood swings 

• Withdrawing from others and interests 

• Changes in personality, sleep pattern and appearance 

• Showing dangerous or self-harming behavior 

• Experienced recent trauma or life crisis 

• Being in a state of deep despair 

• Making preparations to end their life 

• Threatening suicide or talking about wanting to die 

How to help prevent suicide:  

• Be alert and recognize the suicide warning signs 

• Provide caring support  

• Ask the person directly if they have considered hurting themselves 

• If someone appears to be in extreme distress, do not leave them alone. Try to calm them down and get immediate help. Call 911 or go to the emergency room.  

If you know someone or if you yourself have thought about suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The number is 988 or 1-800-273-8255. They provide 24/7 free and confidential support.  

Mental health illnesses consist of a wide range of mental health conditions that can affect one’s emotions, thoughts and behaviors. Some examples are depression, anxiety disorders, schizophrenia, eating disorders and addictive behaviors.  

Symptoms will vary depending on the disorder, circumstances and other factors. Here are some general signs and symptoms:  

• Feeling sad or down 

• Confused thinking or difficulty concentrating 

• Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt 

• Extreme mood changes of highs and lows 

• Withdrawing from others and interests 

• Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping 

• Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations 

• Difficulty coping with daily problems or stress 

• Trouble understanding and relating to situations and to others 

• Problems with alcohol or drug use 

• Major changes in eating habits 

• Sex drive changes 

• Excessive anger, hostility or violence 

• Suicidal thinking 

However, some symptoms can appear as physical pains, such as headaches, stomach pains, back pain or other unexplained aches and pains.  

If you know someone, or you yourself have any of these signs or symptoms, see your primary care physician or a mental health professional. Mental health illnesses do not improve on their own and can get worse over time.  

IU offers mental health services called Counseling and Psychological Services. Students can go to their website and call their number, 812-855-5711, to book an appointment for in person or online visits.  

If students have paid the student health fee they can get three 30-minute sessions for free. Once students have used the three free sessions, there is a $25 fee for individual counseling and $15 for group. CAPS takes health insurance as well.  

Other resources in Bloomington are Bloomington Meadows Hospital which offers inpatient and outpatient care, and Centerstone Bloomington which offers psychiatric and addiction treatment, crisis and urgent care and housing services.  

Additionally, IU Health Bloomington Hospital offers outpatient care, therapists, physicians and social service agencies.  

Monroe County also has a suicide prevention coalition called the Monroe County Suicide Prevention Coalition, which includes supports groups and other resources. The Monroe County Suicide Prevention Coalition is dedicated to providing support for people who are at risk of suicide and impacted by suicide.