sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer welcomes Trine for final nonconference clash

spiuwsoc091322.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer closes its nonconference schedule at 5 p.m. on Wednesday with a home match against Trine University.

The Hoosiers are 1-0-5 and have already tied the Division I record for most goalless draws in a season with five after a stalemate with the University of Memphis on Sunday. The last time Indiana drew five times in a single season was 2015, when the Hoosiers finished the season with six stalemates. 

[RELATED: Indiana women’s soccer extends clean sheet streak thanks to Jamie Gerstenberg

The Thunder, who compete in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association at the Division III level, are 3-1 on the season after winning two straight. They finished with a program-best record of 15-5-2 in 2021 and lost in the conference championship before falling in the first round of the NCAA Division III tournament. 

Trine has scored nine goals so far this season, and seven different players have found the back of the net. Sophomore midfielder Mia Augustino has scored twice and added one assist to lead the Thunder in goals, assists and points. 

Meanwhile, Indiana has only scored three times this season, but head coach Erwin van Bennekom isn’t worried the scoring drought will linger. 

“If we get the ball more in the final third, if we break line and find the free midfielder, we will get more chances and score more goals,” van Bennekom said following Sunday’s match. 

On the other side, sophomore goalkeeper Sophie Aschemeier, like Indiana sophomore goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg, has yet to allow a goal this season. Aschemeier has made all three saves and has a pair of shutout victories. 

This will be the first-ever meeting between the Thunder and Hoosiers. Indiana is 1-2 in program history against non-Division I opponents. 

The match will be streamed live on BIG+.

Follow reporters Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) for updates throughout the game and the rest of the Indiana women’s soccer season.