2022 IU Block Party to present blackbear Sept. 20

entblockparty091822.jpg

The 2022 IU Block Party concert will host blackbear at 8 p.m. Sept. 20 in the Green Lot parking lot north of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Local artist Dro Kenji and student band ForeDaze will open the show.  

In years past, the event has taken place during Welcome Week to foster community for new students. This year’s concert was scheduled at the end of welcome week on Aug. 20, but due to health concerns and personal issues, blackbear was forced to reschedule for later in the semester.  

The Block Party is organized by Union Board and its partners, with Rezwana Habib, the director of concerts, heading the operation. She booked the performers and the venue for the event.  

Habib said the concert will be open to 7,000 students and blackbear and Block Party merchandise will be available at the event, where Union Board will have several giveaways. 

She said Union Board collaborated with numerous on-campus organizations, such as the IU Student Foundation and the Student Recreational Sports Center, who will provide resources to students at the event.  

“This concert is mainly for freshmen, but for upperclassmen as well,” Habib said. “We want to provide resources to students of all grades here at IU.” 

Related: [COLUMN: Highly Suspect remains consistent with newest album ‘The Midnight Demon Club’

A titan of the pop scene, blackbear has collaborated with the likes of Justin Bieber, Machine Gun Kelly and Gucci Mane. His most recent album, “in loving memory,” was released on Aug. 26 of this year. 

Dro Kenji is an up-and-coming star in the pop and hip-hop genres, having released his first single, “Rokstarr,” in 2019. He’s quickly gained popularity and released his latest album, “ANYWHERE BUT HERE,” on Aug. 26. 

ForeDaze is an IU student band that plays regularly at various venues in Bloomington such as Blockhouse Bar and the Bishop. Their most recent work, “Love & Libido” released in 2019. 

Tickets for the Block Party are still available for $55 on the IU Auditorium website. Bursar billing is an accepted method of payment.